2014/07/30

± 350 kilometers from home

I’ve never written a post which solely talked about how my Idul Fitri went but this year is an exception. But first, 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


It took me 13,5 hours of car ride from my home, in Tangerang, to granma’s, in Kuningan. Bro said it’s about 340-350 kilometers. Wow. And the traffic was no joke. Then again, mudik tanpa macet itu tidak berseni. Yes. And I could only laugh it off.

The internet connection wasn’t stable over there. I could barely use the messenger app inside the room I occupied. I should go to the car port or the dining room to get a better connection but I was too lazy (as usual). The next morning, I went to the back of grandma’s home and took this picture. It was only for bragging purpose though! And the internet connection there was stable too. Pfft. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

In short, I was limited to the internet, the world I usually live in every day. I did bring my laptop along, but since my pocket wi-fi couldn’t even work there, I only used it once. I was in the middle of watching an old video which 100% laugh-inducing (according to me) while arranging the self-made words bracelet trinkets when my cousin walked in with her daughter. Her name is Alula and she’s 23 months old right now. Alula seemed like she wasn’t open to stranger, but yesterday I played with her almost all day long and I thought she was getting fond of me (LOL). Her mom left her for dinner yet she was still playing with me. She asked for her mom twice but I distracted her and it worked! Later, I was going to a mart and asked her whether she wants to come with me or not. At first she said no but once I got change out of my pajama she threw everything she had in her hands and ran to me. She sat on my lap and even asked me to carry her. I don’t know why did I feel soooooo damn happy that night! Hahaha. (Well being an aunty isn’t something new to me, I’ve been proclaimed as an aunty since 2007. Up until now I have 3 nieces and 1 nephew, their age range between 6 months old to 7 years old. But no one call me aunty, all of them called me teteh. Ouch.)

 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Aquina on the right (she practically beamed to anyone, anywhere, anytime and she’s super adorable) and unamused Alula on the left.

Ah! I haven’t even talked about the Eid itself. I started the day by going to the mosque as usual. I’ve lost count how many times did I have done my Eid prayer in this mosque. Almost every Idul Fitri I guess, minus the times I didn’t go to grandma’s or during, you know, girl’s thing.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The funniest thing was the balloon seller! They came early in the morning, just about the time people started to crowd around the mosque. Of course the kids who came along with their parents or siblings wanted those colorful balloons in various shapes. It was 15K-20K IDR each. Expensive, but it’s nothing compared to have your kids bawling their eyes out and disturbing others. Heh.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Then, I think I spent a meaningful time when I listened to my dad’s oldest brother’s story when he went to Mecca. It was just, wow, I have to re-arrange my priority, don’t I? His story motivated me in a way I couldn’t even understand or explain. Weird. But, yeah. Thank you, Wa! With or without those stories, I still regard him as one of the most inspiring persons in my whole family. (And thank you for telling me I’m pretty this morning! Pssh, I wore make-up today.) 

Whether I’m willing to admit this or not, it seems like Kuningan always holds a special meaning to me haha. I wasn’t even born or raised there, only my parents (mom was even born in Cirebon instead) and my bro who spent his high school years there, but even the smallest thing could bring a vivid memory to me. Like how I was reminded of that time when I went too far from home with my cousin and got caught by my deceased grandpa (who pinched both of us as a punishment) when I walked past the same I walked on back then. 

So many memories came up and filled my thoughts this year. It’s embarrassing to get overly emotional over this year’s Eid, but whatever! This year Idul Fitri was meaningful to me, I wish yours too and I wish we’ll still have our exciting and meaningful Idul Fitri too next year! Aamiin.

No comments:

Post a Comment